top of page

REPORT | Bulls 2-1 Frickley Athletic

AFC signed off from the 2018/19 season with a third win in four outings, as the Bulls edged past Frickley Athletic.

Ellis Wall's wonderstrike in the first half gave Mark Ward's side a half-time lead, before Tyler Walton fired home at Jason White's near post to drag the Blues back into the game.

But the points belonged to the Bulls in the end, as Charlie Dawes poked home in a goalmouth scramble to restore the hosts' lead and eventually win the contest.

The closest either side came to an opener within the first 10 minutes came when Jordan Annable's floating cross only just evaded Hugo Warhurst's back post.

Annable was also the one to record AFC's first shot on target of the afternoon, driving low from 25 yards after finding space in the middle, but only to see it easily held by Warhurst.

Just a minute later, Frickley saw a golden chance go amiss as Karl Byrne saw his one-on-one effort well blocked by Jason White with his body.

On 16 minutes the visitors were presented with another brilliant opportunity to go ahead, but Sam Liversidge could only head straight at White from only yards out after an inch-perfect delivery from the left.

Three minutes later, and White was almost left red-faced as his attempted pass from a goal kick to Annable was intercepted by Byrne and fed through for Jacob Hazel, but Jon D'Laryea did well to shield the ball for the Bulls 'keeper to collect.

It felt as if it would take a wonder goal to break the deadlock, and the crowd were treated to just that as Ellis Wall unleashed a 25-yard beauty and volleyed into a helpless Warhurst's top corner.

Frickley continued to press for their first of the afternoon and almost found it when Tyler Walton's sweetly-hit low drive was just about held by White.

The first real chance of the second half saw the visitors finally draw level, Walton twisted and turned inside the AFC penalty area before powerfully firing past White at his near post.

Frickley almost turned the game on its head five minutes later, as White did brilliantly to tip away Hazel's deflected effort.

After the hour mark, the Bulls restored their lead as substitute Cameron Dear's cross caused problems for Warhurst, and Dawes poked home amongst a goalmouth scramble.

The lead would have been doubled on 72 minutes, but Warhurst used the best of his abilities to somehow pull off a miraculous save and palm Ollie Fearon's header away from his bottom corner.

The visitors then struggled to find a second leveller, coming closest when Walton's cross-cum-shot from outside the penalty area only dipped inches over a relieved Jason White's crossbar.

The victory marks a third in four league outings and a second league double completed in six days, and also means that the Bulls would have been 15 points clear of the bottom two.



Final score | AFC Mansfield 2-1 Frickley Athletic

Scorers | Wall (21'), Dawes (66') - Walton (53')

AFC Mansfield | White, Marsden, Annable, Ghaichem (C), Dudley, D'Laryea, Dawes, Buxton (Lindley 57'), Froggatt (Dear 56'), Fearon, Wall (Jumma 87')

Unused substitutes | Crosby

Yellow cards | Wall (84')

Red cards | N/A

Frickley Athletic | Warhurst, Watt, Chan, Ible, Jemson (Okafor 80'), Young, Liversidge, Hinsley, Walton, Byrne, Hazel (C)

Unused substitutes | Carrick, Mears, Szanto, Wilson

Yellow cards | N/A

Red cards | N/A

Man-of-the-Match | Ellis Wall

Attendance | 95


bottom of page