top of page

AFC Mansfield 0-0 Goole AFC: Match Report

AFC Mansfield failed to break the deadlock as Phil Buxton's side shared the point with Goole AFC.

The game ended in a stalemate despite the Bulls having the majority of the chances and possession.

Buxton's side were without strikers Klarke Greenham and Ross Duggan, who were both recovering from injuries, whilst Liam Marsden departed the club earlier in the week to join Retford United.

AFC Mansfield: Revuelta; McKenna, Cropper, Dudley, Sketchley; Rajter, Mays (Pipes, 77), Batty (Hobson, 75); Dodsworth, Walker (Gibb, 70), Karkach

Unused substitutions: D'Laryea, Buxton

Mansfield got off to a positive start just one minute in, as winger Lynton Karkach shrugged off a Goole defender but struggled to get the power behind his shot to really trouble Richard Watson in the Goole goal.

The Bulls continued to threat early on in the second half, as a foul on Kian Sketchley allowed Alfie Dodsworth to float a ball into the back post from a free-kick, but Thomas Cropper was unable to divert his header on target despite having space.

Adam Revuelta was called into action, as Sam Cable snuck behind the Bulls defence and forced the goalkeeper into an alert save.

Dodsworth, who earned Man of the Match from the Bulls committee, continued to danger the Goole back line as he flashed a ball across goal, but Karkach couldn't sort his feet out and the ball was scrambled clear.

Heading into the second half, Goole looked to get a grasp on the game as Cable rounded Revuelta, but a combination of the goalkeeper and Mark Dudley on the line denied the striker from breaking the deadlock from a tight angle.

A smart corner kick routine saw a ball to the edge of the box find Dodsworth, but the attacker couldn't keep his effort down as it rose over the bar.

Mansfield's arguably biggest chance came in the 72nd minute, with Cropper in the thick of it again. Another corner found the head of the captain, whose nod was heroically cleared off of the line before Karkach's volleyed follow-up was scrambled clear.

Cable was the considerable threat for Goole and looked to nick a late winner, as the ball fell to him on the edge of the box but he could only lash his effort narrowly wide.

But with both sides lacking that cutting edge, the referee brought the game to an end with it finishing goalless at the Forest Town Arena.

Recent Posts

See All

Opening Weekend Fixtures Confirmed..

United Counties League confirmed opening weekend of fixtures. The UCL has today released the opening weekends fixtures. We can now confirm that we will play Bourne Town away from home on the 27 of Jul


bottom of page