top of page

REPORT | Liversedge 1-1 Bulls

Ross Duggan's late strike helped AFC claim a valuable point on the road at high-flying Liversedge.

The Bulls had to withstand wave after wave of assaults on their own net with superb resilient defending before Duggan would take his only chance of the tie with ten minutes to spare.

After seeing a flurry of his own chances somehow avoid the AFC net, substitute Mark Simpson finally drew the hosts level with one minute of normal time to spare, sharing the spoils between the two sides.

The hosts, as expected, controlled the opening proceedings in West Yorkshire and their first opportunity arose when Ollie Fearon released Emile Sinclair into the Bulls penalty area, only for the forward to blast over from a narrow angle.

Michael Bottomley had the hosts' next opportunity only several minutes later, as a neat passage of Liversedge play saw the ball fall for the midfielder 15 yards out, but Bottomley could only rustle up a tame effort.

AFC remained keen to catch their hosts on the break and a promising string of passes almost created a clear-cut chance for Brandon Webster, but he was flagged for offside after being fed through neatly by Cameron Dear.

Bulls stopper Hugo Warhurst became increasingly busy in the AFC net, palming a 35-yard Bottomley half-volley over his bar before Ross Duggan sliced a chance well wide down the other end after driving down the right flank and all the way into the opposition area.

Sedge forward Sinclair then had a flurry of chances fall his way, striking the woodwork from only yards out after swivelling with his back to goal before nodding a long ball past an out-rushing Warhurst only for Sketchley to clear off the goal line.

AFC then started the second half brightly, and striker Gavin King came close to opening the scoring but flicked Morgan James' corner-kick delivery just over.

Hugo Warhurst then pulled off an outstanding one-handed save just a minute later, tipping Bottomley's 20-yard drive around his far post.

The Bulls were then dealt a blow just after the hour mark with defender Matt Wilson sidelined for ten minutes, after being sin binned for dissent by the referee.

But Matt Chatfield's side remained resilient at the back, and the closest Sedge came to an opener with the extra man advantage was when Joe Kenny sent a wicked volley dipping just over the crossbar.

AFC had been waiting for their chance to finally come for almost the entire encounter, but Ross Duggan ensured he wouldn't waste his chance as he buried the ball beyond Josh Lill on the end of a blistering AFC counter-attack with ten minutes to go.

Whilst the visitors began to smell victory, Liversedge continued to press hard for the goal they thought they should have earned long ago and were once again denied by superb last-ditch defending as Jordan Annable threw his body in the way of Mark Simpson's 12-yard drive.

But hearts were broken just a minute later when the hosts finally found a way to beat Hugo Warhurst - ironically it was a simple back-post header for Simpson who drew his side level on 89 minutes.

Liversedge captain Tom Jackson then became the second player to be sin binned, before Duggan targeted the Sedge net from range but could only blast over.

Matt Chatfield's side held on to a very valuable point on the road, and now look onto a League Cup fourth round tie at home to Rossington Main.



Final score | Liversedge 1-1 AFC Mansfield

Scorers | Simpson (89') - Duggan (80')

Liversedge XI | Lill (GK), Marsden, Hardacre, Ghaichem, Steers, Jackson, Bottomley (Thompson 71'), Kenny, Fearon (Walton 80'), Walker, Sinclair (Simpson 66')

Unused subs | Zalo

Yellow cards | Fearon (15'), Steers (67'), Jackson (90' SB)

Bulls XI | Warhurst (GK), Slone, Sketchley, Harrison, Wilson, Annable, King, Dear (Hough 83'), Duggan (Ryan 90'+5), James (McMillan 86'), Webster

Unused subs | Stancliffe (GK), Saleh (GK)

Yellow cards | Duggan (52'), Wilson (63' SB)

Man of the Match | Kian Sketchley

Attendance |


bottom of page