top of page

REPORT | Heanor Town 0-0 Bulls

Matt Chatfield's side were held to a draw by lower opposition Heanor in the FA Cup Preliminary Round.

The hosts had a wealth of chances to go ahead in the first half, before a more even second half could and possibly should have seen the Bulls proceed to the First Qualifying Round with a potential last-minute winner waved away by the officials.

AFC's first chance came two minutes in when Ross Duggan did well to win the ball off his man before curling in an in-swinging cross, but fellow forward Anton Daniels couldn't get his head on the delivery in a good position.

Though from a tier below, hosts Heanor threatened time and time again and regularly asked questions of Hugo Warhurst and the AFC defence.

After Warhurst was almost left red-faced by a poor backpass which he just about managed to recover in front of his net, Heanor winger Jon Jebbison could have hit the net with a bit more luck as he cut in from the right and curled just over the crossbar.

Striker Jamie Sleigh too could have opened the scoring, but he volleyed Jack Warner's cross inches wide.

Just a minute later, Duggan tested the opposition back line with a fierce volley which stung the hands of Jordan Pierrepont, who tipped the ball onto the crossbar.

Chances continued to be exchanged, with Sleigh scuffling a one-on-one opportunity before Pierrepont had to respond again to a powerful Duggan effort.

The second half proved to be more level, and again the two sides struggled to find an opener with the defences resolute in keeping a clean sheet.

Duggan once again asked questions of Pierrepont on 54 minutes, forcing a solid save from the Heanor 'keeper after wiggling his way into space, before offside Phil Buxton headed over when he looked destined to score.

Pierrepont continued to win the battle with Duggan, somehow getting his body in the way of the AFC top-scorer's drive at goal when the whole ground thought the visitors had taken the lead.

It seemed like only a moment of magic could win the tie between the two 7-0 Extra Preliminary Round victors, and Duggan almost provided that needed moment when he flicked a long ball back over his head before volleying wide from a tight angle.

Pierrepont continued to frustrate the visitors, getting down low to turn substitute Luke Walker's low strike around his post, and the tie was heading towards a replay.

It looked like the Bulls had nicked the tie three minutes into injury time when Jordan Annable's header from a long throw seemed to cross the line, but the referee deemed a Heanor defender's clearance onto the crossbar to be eligible.

The two sides will meet again on Tuesday 3 September for the replay at the Forest Town Arena.



Final score | Heanor Town 0-0 AFC Mansfield

Heanor Town XI | Pierrepont (GK), Horne, Pratt, Thornberry, Roulston, Carlisle, Jebbison, Hall, Sleigh, Warner, Daley

Substitutes | Ball, Vowles, Hazeldine, Ritchie-Smith, Birks, Brown, Bowler

Yellow cards | Unknown (77')

Red cards | N/A

AFC Mansfield XI | Warhurst (GK), Annable, Hough, McGuire, Warwick, McMillan, Buxton (C), Duggan, Daniels, Webster

Substitutes | Walker, Corder, Lucas, Slone, Jumma, Stancliffe (GK)

Yellow cards | N/A

Red cards | N/A

Man-of-the-Match | Cameron Hough

Attendance | TBC


bottom of page