top of page

REPORT | Barton Town 3-0 Bulls

Updated: Dec 30, 2019

The end of 2019 was far from a happy one as AFC were beaten comprehensively by in-form Barton.

Craig Denton's Swans were in full control for the vast majority of the 90 minutes, with goals from Jack Richardson, Taron Hare and Ben Hinchcliffe securing three points for the hosts.

The Bulls almost found a way through with not even a minute gone, but Grant Ryan's headed flick-on for Ross Duggan rolled a little too far and was collected by Sam Riches.

The hosts looked dangerous on the counter and threatened to open the scoring on the counter to AFC's first corner of the tie, with Ben Hinchcliffe shooting straight at Hugo Warhurst from the edge of the penalty area.

The next save was far from simple, though, as Warhurst pulled out all the stops to tip Craig Disley's volley superbly onto the woodwork and out, when the Swans skipper looked destined to score.

The hosts grew comfortably into the tie, and deservedly found the lead mid-way through the first half, as winger Jack Richardson slotted home under Warhurst on the end of a blistering counter-attack.

In a rare spell of possession in the opposition half, Brandon Webster fancied himself from 30 yards out but pulled his low effort wide.

Duggan was the next to eye up the Barton net from range, but sent his looping 40-yard half-volley bouncing just wide.

With ten first-half minutes remaining, the Bulls were dealt a cruel blow just as Matt Chatfield's side were growing back into the tie.

Brad Mears sliced a clearance on the goal line, allowing Taron Hare to volley in off the far post.

The introduction of returning midfielder Cameron Dear made a positive difference for AFC, as the visitors pressed for a way back into the game in the second period.

Duggan had two attempts on goal in as many minutes, dragging the first wide before slicing the second well over the crossbar.

Bringing down a Warhurst long ball, Duggan brought the ball forward in a brilliant run before his shot deflected into the path of skipper Phil Buxton, who couldn't convert from eight yards out.

The Bulls captain was then sent to the sin bin for ten minutes for dissent, and combined with a brief moment of floodlight failure, their momentum was all but vanished.

And only five minutes after the restart, the game seemed done and dusted as Ben Hinchcliffe turned Slone and rolled the ball past Warhurst into his bottom corner.

The Bulls struggled to create another key chance, and Barton deservedly took all three points after a long and lengthy injury time.



Final score | Barton Town 3-0 AFC Mansfield

Scorers | Richardson (24'), Hare (37'), Hinchcliffe (76')

Barton Town XI | Riches (GK), Burdett, Start, Salt, Hare, Plummer, Millson (North 74'), Disley (C), Fairhurst (M. Cooper 86'), Hinchcliffe (Barkworth 90'+2), Richardson

Unused subs | S. Cooper, Winn

Yellow cards |

Bulls XI | Warhurst (GK), Mears (Dear 46'), Slone, McGuire, Annable Hough, Walker, Buxton (C), Duggan, Ryan (King 59'), Webster (Warner 77')

Unused subs | McMillan, Saleh (GK)

Yellow cards | McGuire (48'), Buxton (65')

Man of the Match | Jamie McGuire

Attendance |


bottom of page