top of page

Report | AFC Mansfield 2 - 3 Eastwood Community

Updated: Sep 10, 2020

Manager Matt Chatfield took lots of positives from the game against Eastwood. “We used a lot of players today and gave numerous U21 players minutes on the pitch. Two 16-year-old players both got 45 minutes today. I am taking a close interest on the young players because we want them to progress and will be looking for them to progress into 1st team as and when the time is right.”

“I always want to win, but you have to look at the bigger picture. We were cautious with some players today with a view to them being ready and fit for next Saturday in The FA Cup against Cleethorpes.”

The first real chance of the game came on 9 minutes when Morgan James fed Matt Sykes whose fierce drive was turned around the post by the Eastwood keeper.

Phil Buxton then opened the scoring on 13 minutes after good work from Morgan James.

2 minutes later James delivered a low driven cross that Connor McMillan hoisted over the bar from 10 yards.

Eastwood responded and Hugo Warhurst did well to palm a rasping effort away to his right.

Big shouts for a penalty from Eastwood on 21 minutes, waved away by the referee. Warhurst saving initially before Tom Slone and Ben Algar both blocked follow up efforts. Jarod Holmes sin binned for his over zealous protests.

A great piece of control from Sykes on 23 minutes sees him feed Ross Duggan and the striker cuts inside his marker to fire a low drive destined for the bottom corner until the keeper dived full length to turn the ball around the post.

Both sides then had efforts go wide of the mark, Gareth Curtis and Duggan the guilty parties.

Matt Sykes could only look on in disbelief as his goal bound effort was tipped over the crossbar by the keeper.

The Bulls ended the half in front and made 9 changes at the break, including assistant manager John Stancliffe having to replace the injured Hugo Warhurst in goal.

Eastwood were back on level terms on 51 minutes when Kieran Knight headed past Stancliffe.

The visitors then went in front on 60 minutes Knight again on target lifting the ball over the advancing Stancliffe after some poor defending.

More dismal defending allowed Eastwood a third on 66 minutes as Gaz Curtis got himself on the scoresheet.

The home side started to look for a way back into the game and went close with a curling free kick from Matt Sykes.

Ben Algar then saw his effort go wide of the mark.

The Bulls did manage a consolation goal on the stroke of full time as Lynton Karkach fired past the Eastwood keeper.


bottom of page