top of page

AFC Mansfield 2-2 Sherwood Colliery: Match Report

A brilliant second half comeback from AFC Mansfield meant the spoils were shared at the Forest Town Arena.

Derby day saw Sherwood Colliery come to the Bulls, with a crowd of 280 seeing goals from Alfie Dodsworth and Lynton Karkach cancel out Jamie York and Lewis Belgrave's earlier finishes.

AFC Mansfield: Revuelta; Slone, Sketchley, Marsden, Cropper, D'Laryea, Batty, Mays, Walker, Dodsworth, Weaver

Substitutions: Karkach, Gibb, Rajter, McKenna, Scott

Sherwood started the game off looking for an early lead, with Carter Widdowson and Brad Newby both having opportunities which were blasted wide of the target.

The Bulls were keen to get a foot hold in the derby too, and nearly did so through Lewis Weaver on two occasions. Alfie Dodsworth did fantastically to weave past his man and feed Weaver, but his shot got caught up in the pitch and was scrambled clear, before a teasing Luke Walker cross narrowly evaded the forward at the back post.

Mansfield goalkeeper Adam Revuelta would be called into action, but proved reliable, first making a brilliant stop to deny a venomous Will Norcross effort, before comfortably holding Tim Gregory's winding strike.

But with the tie fairly even, Sherwood capitalised on the brink of half-time. York found space in the box after a coming together between players, before a composed finish saw the midfield grant the Wood the lead.

Heading into the second half, Sherwood would begin to take control of the game, and quickly doubled their advantage. A loose ball in the box was failed to be cleared, before Belgrave struck a pinpoint volley into the roof of the net, giving Mansfield it all to do.

Mansfield weren't willing to give up without a fight however, and following some tactical changes from Phil Buxton, including the introduction of Lynton Karkach, the Bulls got one back. A fast counter-attack led by Karkach, as the winger broke into the box before pulling the ball back to Dodsworth, who calmly rifled the ball past Dale Sheppard.

But with five minutes left on the clock and pressures growing, it took a moment of brilliance to bring the scores level. Up step Karkach, who controlled the ball on the wing before bending an outstanding strike into the far corner, leaving Sheppard stranded and with no chance.

The Bulls are next in action on Monday night, with Maltby Main the visitors to the Forest Town Arena.


bottom of page