AFC Mansfield

Monday, November 26, 2012

Kiveton Park 0 – 8 AFC Mansfield

The Windsor Food Services Central Midlands League
Black Dragon Premier Division North
Saturday 24th November 2012
On paper this looked like it could be a difficult away game for ‘The Bulls’, but with several players missing the home side looked a shadow of the side who visited Forest Town in September.
AFC were still missing keeper Dale Sheppard and Captain Steve McGurk through injury and influential midfielder Ricky Chambers was unavailable.  Danny Tighe and Mark Carter came back onto the bench after missing last week.
‘The Bulls’ got off to the perfect start when Dean Rick latched onto a Jason Edwards through ball before firing past the advancing Jonathon Parker to open the scoring.  Parker nearly embarrassed himself 3 minutes later when a back pass bobbled over his foot and looked to be going in.  The keeper though kept his composure and stopped the ball on the line much to the relief of the Home dugout.
Rick beat Parker on 10 minutes but James Cregan managed to turn the ball around the post.
The same pairing of Rick and Parker were involved again on 25 minutes with Parker saving with his feet from Rick’s effort.  Carl Haslam was the next to test Parker with a curling effort that the keeper did well to get to.
The visitors doubled their lead on 40 minutes with Danny Naylor finding Edwards who picked out Rick.  Rick’s effort came back off the post ut Carl Haslam was on hand to finish from 3 yards.
Kieren Watson saw his goal bound effort well saved by Parker after good linking play from Rick and Haslam just before the break.
The goal of the game came 5 minutes into the restart, Rick receiving the ball 25 yards out and firing past Parker into the roof of the net.
The chances were coming thick and fast and both Edwards and Watson both had efforts saved by Parker as AFC ratcheted up the pressure.
Matt Draper found Haslam with a long pass and the striker raced down the left flank before delivering an inviting cross to the far post.  Kieren Watson accepted the invitation to fire home from close range on 56 minutes for his first goal for AFC Mansfield. 
Jason Edwards made it 5-0 on 66 minutes from a neat move down the right involving Mark Carter and Watson with the latter pulling the ball back in the box for Edwards to finish from 12 yards.
Watson got his second and AFC’s sixth on 76 minutes after he rounded keeper Parker to fire home from 10 yards.
Watson was involved in the next goal, delivering a superb cross which Haslam nodded down to the waiting Mark Carter to fire home from the edge of the six yard box.
A great run from Liam Pride minutes later down the right flank, with his cross finding Haslam on the far post.  His effort superbly turned around the post by Parker.
Watson was again the provider for the eighth and final goal, his cross met by the head of Carter giving Parker no chance.
This was Kiveton’s heaviest defeat of the season and brought to an end a three match winning run by the South Yorkshire side.
AFC Mansfield are back in action on Wednesday when they host local rivals Ollerton Town in the Phoenix Trophies Floodlit Cup Second Round at the Forest Town Stadium, kick off is 7.45pm.
Kiveton Park: Parker, Gravelle, Cregan, Green, Preece (Harrison 35), Cocks, Poad, Stewart, Lawton, Gorman, Barnes.  Sub not used: Warner.
AFC Mansfield: Eley, Buxton (McLane 76), Meehan, Draper (c) (Tighe 66), Pride, Naylor, Edwards, Armstrong (Carter 60), Rick, Haslam, Watson.  Subs not used: Staniforth & Rodger.
Referee: Mr D Hunt
Assistants: Mr M Senior & Mr M Webb
Man of the Match: Dean Rick

Attendance: 30